March 14, 2017
By Michael Locklear
SEGUIN, Texas – Seventeen people are facing charges in connection with an illegal gambling operation.
Seguin police arrested nine people on Tuesday, when they raided six stores and a home at the same time. Officers had arrest warrants for eight more people.
Bethe McKenzie stopped by one of the convenience stores – Texas Cooler on North Austin Street – to get a pack of cigarettes, only to find it closed. She said she’s heard the gambling machines and seen people hanging out inside for long periods of time.
“Everyone that came from the back always looked like they, like they had a secret or something,” she said.
The nine arrested are each charged with engaging in organized criminal activity:
- Elizabeth Jerkins, 59
- Rosemary Luna, 54
- Muhammad Riaz, 51
- Tiffany Mendoza, 28
- Ahmed Ali, 30
- Adan Urbina, 36
- Alexus Garcia, 23
- Brennen Knight, 52
- Hope Horacefield, 63
Officers seized 32 eight-liners.
SPD said officers searched the following locations:
- 3000 block of Saddlehorn Dr.
- 820 E. Kingsbury, Quickee Bee’s Gas Station #2
- 506 N. Austin St., Texas Cooler
- 1011 N. St Hwy 123 Bypass, Ice House Gas Station
- 1017 W. Court St., Quick Pick Food Mart No 2
- 953 W. Court St., Lil Super
- 704 San Antonio Ave., Raymonds Corner Stop